Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Tela-1.25 available
Newsgroups: sci.math.num-analysis

Tela (TEnsor LAnguage) version 1.25 is now available at
ftp.funet.fi:pub/sci/math/tela/. It is an interpreted array language
especially targeted for pre- and postprocessing of large-scale
numerical simulations, but people use it for other purposes as well. It
is also possible to link your own routines to Tela, either statically
or dynamically.  Almost complete Tela->C++ compilation capability
also exists, as well as a more limited Matlab->Tela translator.

The main strength of Tela over commercial systems such as Matlab is
that Tela is significantly faster and more general because it supports
multidimensional arrays. The language is also better suited for larger
programming projects (e.g., many functions in one t-file and a package
mechanism for avoiding name conflicts). Tela graphics (PlotMTV) may
not be as fancy as that of Matlab IDL, but it is still quite usable.

In short, programming in Tela is like writing C/C++ code with Matlab
enhancements but using semicolons the Pascal way.

Version 1.25 contains some rather minor bug fixes and additions.
No new binaries have been compiled yet, but older binaries for many
systems are included in bin/ directory in distribution FTP site.

See "http://www.geo.fmi.fi/prog/tela.html" for more information.
Change log: "http://www.geo.fmi.fi/~pjanhune/tela/CHANGES.txt".

Send bugs and suggestions to [email-masked], [email-masked].